Unarmed Security Guard Requirements in Colorado
In the State of Colorado, an unarmed security guard must be licensed for as long as he or she is employed as a security guard. The City Clerk’s office handles the application.
In order to qualify for an unarmed security guard license the following requirements must be met:
- Must be at least 18 year old
- Must be a resident of Colorado
- Must be a United States citizen or registered resident alien
- Must have a valid Colorado driver’s license or state ID card
- A valid social security card
- Must provide a medical certificate (within 60 days of filing the security guard application) stating you are physically capable of performing the duties of a security guard. Only a physician, nurse practitioner or physician assistant certified by the Colorado State Board of Medical Examiners can administer this certificate.
- Proof of background check, within 30 days after filing the security guard application, from the CBI or other recognized source
If expected to carry a nightstick, mace or knife applicant must show proof of compliance of Regulation No. 7 ; there are specific rules as to the length of blade and nightstick.
In addition, the use of mace is allowed based on these specific regulations.
Other Requirements that May Be Helpful:
- Driver’s License
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Good Communication skills
Law: Section 34-27C