Unarmed Security Guard Requirements in Iowa
To become an unarmed security guard in Iowa, applicants must:
- be at least 18 years old
- not have been convicted of a felony, any sexual offense, or any crime that would question the honesty and integrity of the person
- meet and maintain qualifications set and approved by the Iowa Department of Public Safety
- provide employer with a set of passport-style photos
- provide employer with a set of fingerprints on a standard FBI fingerprint card (please note that the date on the fingerprint card must match the date of hire)
Iowa is unique because there is no state-required unarmed security guard training; the agency is the entity that is required to be licensed. Fees total $40 to become an unarmed security guard.
Armed Security Guard Requirements in Iowa
Those who wish to become an armed security guard in Iowa must gain employment with an Iowa security guard agency. In addition to the above, there are a few further armed security guard requirements in Iowa. Applicants must:
- be at least 21 years old
- attain a NRA pistol permit and/or NRA range safety officer training
- successfully complete firearm range qualification
Fees to become an armed security guard total $50.
Licensing Body: Iowa Department of Public Safety
Law: Iowa Code Chapter 80A and Iowa Administrative Rules, 661, Chapter 121